Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tea Towel Tuesday- Peg Bag

Welcome to the first ever Tea Towel Tuesday. I have had great fun deciding what to make and I hope you enjoy seeing my tea towel creations each week.

This week, hanging the washing up has become a lot easier at our house.
In the later stages of my last pregnancy I grew sick and tired of continually bending down to collect clothes pegs out of a rapidly disintegrating cardboard box. I decided that a peg bag was needed. Its taken me a few months, but I have done it... and here it is:



This is how my clothes pegs used to be stored.

Here is the before picture (just to prove that it really is made of a tea towel).

The bag would have been made using a single tea towel, but I made a mistake so had to replace the front panel with a piece from another tea towel. I am actually quite glad that I did, as I think it has improved the finished item.
To give the bag a bit more strength, I lined it with some neutral coloured fabric that I have had in my sewing box for a long time. The hook is provided by a child size coat hanger.
I made the pattern up as I went along, but would probably be able to provide a tutorial if anybody is interested...
(Incidentally, since the idea of Tea Towel Tuesday occurred to me, I have started to pay attention to the price of tea towels. I need to continually remind myself that I am doing this for budgeting reasons. No matter how cute the towel, I refuse to spend $15 on a tea towel. My MAXIMUM spend per tea towel is $5 but I prefer it to be closer to $2)

CHALLENGE #9
(make a peg bag)- COMPLETE

5 comments :

  1. How cute! Love it! My peg container is an old icecream tub - my husband poked holes in it and tied some shoelaces through it and a hook so I can hang it on the line. Not pretty but it's functional! Might have to try my hand at a bag instead :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great. I REALLY need to make myself a peg pinny I make them for other people but you know how it is. I agree about the price thing - teatowels can be extraordinary prices. I just bought one to use as art for $9 and I thought that was a big deal!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cute, sure my mum had something like this when I was little. Well done you

    ReplyDelete
  4. loving this idea of crafting with tea-towels, really looking forward to seeing what other things you're going to make! the peg bag looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. loving this idea of crafting with tea-towels, really looking forward to seeing what other things you're going to make! the peg bag looks great :)

    ReplyDelete

I'm being brave am going to try opening up my comments to anonymous commenters, but if I am overrun by spam again, I'll have to reconsider...

ShareThis

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...